Tuesday 12 June 2012

The End of the World as we Know it?


I remembered this morning that the world is meant to end on the 21st of December this year. This is based on the the Mayan Calendar, which it seems comes to and end on this date. Some people also believe that the ancient Egyptians predicted this date as the end of the world and believe that because NASA have predicted an increase in sunspots and sunflares, this surely points to the end of the world as we know it.

In 2008 a Belgian guy named Patrick Geryl quit his job to set up a community of like minded people to prepare for the end of the world as we know it. He has an 11 page list of what the community need and believes nothing on Earth (save his community?) will be left. Considering that was four years ago, I imagine he and his like minded friends will be quite prepared by this stage.

The Age newspaper article, The End of the World is coming, but Christmas is not, reported that 1 in 10 Australians also believe that the world will end in 2012. I, however, am not in that number. I really do not think the world will end this year. I think, like all calendars, that the Mayan one will just start again.

I just can't see why the world would end. I think if a giant asteroid was heading our way, we would probably know about it by now and if not a giant asteroid, then the only other real threat I can imagine is a nuclear war. Even if there was a nuclear war, I don't think our whole world would be destroyed, maybe just some countries, which would be awful, but I think our world and many people would survive.

I choose to be optimistic about this prediction, but just incase, I'm not going to buy my Christmas presents until after the 22nd of December. I also have a friend who has stockpiled, a little like Patrick Geryl, and I know where she lives.


No comments:

Post a Comment